General Motors and Dell, Inc. discuss how they encourage white males to push for change and the benefits of doing so. Key takeaways include:
• Biases aren't bad unless they're acted on. We all have them. It's what we do with them that can present unintentional and undesirable consequences.
• White men want to engage in diversity initiatives; create space for that to happen.
• Get engaged, starting with employee resource groups.
• Start a dialogue — listening to find commonalties to make a connection, searching for alignment.
• Create an environment where leaders can engage in courageous conversations and feel safe making mistakes.